Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Your Health is Your Wealth



 Hello! I am excited to share about my love for food. Fresh, healthy, and life giving food. I once saw a sign posted at a health food store that said, "Your health is your wealth!" It is so true. You could have everything; a beautiful family, love, and all the riches of this world, but if you don't have your health to enjoy it all, than what do you have?

I am really disturbed by all the nasty ingredients in so many mainstream brands. Icecream should not have 50 ingredients! It should be made of milk, cream, vanilla, and sugar. We currently shop at Trader Joe's and I am so happy that it offers a lot of healthier options. I would like to be more self sufficient eventually and not have to rely on any grocery store. One step at a time though. 

I grew up not eating the healthiest foods. I had a sweet tooth and ate a lot of sweets. I started to become more health conscious in college. I started buying dairy free milks, whole grains, and cut out sugar. All I know is that when I eat healthy, I feel on top of the world. My body is happy, I have more energy, I have more confidence, and I am happy. 

I ate meat when I was younger, but as I started to become more aware of my inner voice, I didn't feel comfortable eating meat. I love animals with all my heart. They are amazing! They are intelligent. They have hopes and fears just like we do. Pigs are considered to be one of the most intelligent animals on earth. I don't like the idea of murdering a loving creature and eating it's flesh. God gave us this earth and it's creatures to care for, not destroy. It disgusts me. And because meat is in such high demand, slaughter houses have become like concentration camps. I've watched videos taped inside slaughter houses, but cried my eyes afterwards. I can't handle it.

I've served at a lot of restaurants. I once talked to some vegan customers about their lifestyle. I told them I feared not getting enough protein being vegan. They told me to think of a few animals that I thought were very strong. My first thought was an elephant. The other was a horse. They pointed out to me that both of those animals eat only plants and they have the energy and strength that they need. This fact has stuck with me ever since. I am not vegan, but would like to move towards getting things like cheese and eggs from local farmers.

I have 3 all time favorite foods. Number 1 is fresh organic cherries. I practically eat them non stop through the summer. 2nd is pizza. Homemade with bbq sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and topped with jalepenos. The 3rd is Thai food. Especially fresh summer rolls, vegetarian pad thai, and spicy red curry. 

I also take omega three supplements, probiotics, and multi- vitamins. There is a whole spectrum of  health. It is not just about eating. There is spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical health. And each one effects the other. But that is a whole other topic. So I will leave it at that. I love vegetarian eating! 

Here are some photos I have taken in the past year...


Vegetarian Curry dish- brown rice, red peppers, chickpeas, carrots, sweet potato, coconut milk, and of course all the spices. Topped with fresh basil.

Fried Tofu- Whole wheat flours, corn starch, sesame seeds. Homemade sweet and sour sauce.

Organic Strawberries

Spinach Salad, beets, carrots, cucumbers, bruschetta, olives, walnuts, sunflowers seeds, tumeric, croutons, and Goddess dressing. Toasted whole wheat sourdough bread and pesto.

Whole wheat pancakes with cinnamon and nutmeg. Topped with jam and blueberries.

My daughter enjoying watermelon last summer.

Tomato Soup- cayenne pepper, basil, and tumeric. Grilled cheese with sundried tomatoes and pesto.

Smoothie- Organic strawberries, bananas,and mangoes. Coconut or rice milk and orange juice. I drink one almost everyday during the summer.

Egg and Cheese Sandwich- Mayo, mustard, and sundried tomatoes. Organic Kiwi.

Tomatoes from our garden.

Time to eat!

Alfredo sauce with steamed broccoli and grilled onions pureed into it. Topped with fresh basil. Served with whole wheat sourdough bread.

Sauteing arugula, red bell peppers, onions, and zucchini for pasta sauce.

Our daughter holding a ripe pear.

Homemade Pizza! Tomato sauce and pesto.

Berries in the morning light.

Organic Apples

Free range omega 3 eggs




Hope you are encouraged by my blog and may you be blessed and whole in every area of your life :)

1 comment: